Become A Foster Parent
Open your heart and home.
Becoming a Foster Parent
By opening their homes and hearts, Foster Parents make a big difference in the lives of children and youth in need of a temporary, safe and caring home.
Children and youth in Foster Care range in age from 0 to 17 years and come from diverse cultures and backgrounds. Children in care have experienced some form of trauma in addition to being uprooted from their homes. They require gentle, committed and skilled caregivers to help them grow and develop their strengths.
The goal for children in care is for them to be returned safely home, placed with an extended family member or natural support, adoption, or for them to successfully transition to independence.
Who can become a Foster Parent?
An individual, or couple, over the age of 18 who:
- Are Canadian citizens or permanent resident
- Rent or own a home
- Physically and emotionally capable of a providing, quality full time care for a child
- Have children or no children in the home
- Possess a stable income (full or part-time employment, self-employment, etc.)
- Are committed to continuously improving their caregiver skills
What Supports do Foster Parents Receive?
We provide Foster Parents with:
- Ongoing group and customized training
- Individualized support and coaching
- A tax-free per diem to supplement the costs of caring for the child
- 24 days per year of paid relief care
- After hours emergency on-call support
- Appreciation events
- Support meetings
Foster Care Program
McMan Calgary & Area has a strong reputation of fostering in Calgary. We provide temporary care to over 45 children and youth.
Our goal is to equip foster parents with support, ongoing training and information regarding:
- Complex Trauma
- Grief & Loss
- Child Development
- Managing difficult behaviours
- Navigating government systems (Children’s Services)
- Maintaining connection to biological parents, natural supports, and community
The Foster Care Program is funded by the Government of Alberta.
For more information about the Foster Care Program or for information on how to become a foster parent, please email us:
Upcoming Training and Events for McMan Foster Parents
- Dates forthcoming